Inspiring Ideas for Teachers, iTunes U Courses

The Inspiring Lesson Ideas for Teachers collection on iTunes U is a series of courses available for educational purposes. They are for teachers to use as a template, resource, or to get ideas. The collection spans all grade levels and subjects, making it useful for all educators. With 30 different courses to choose from, I couldn’t help but notice titles like Organic PE: Basketball, The Graphic Novel, and It’s All Geography to Me.

To find the collection on your iPad:

1) Get the free iTunes U app

2) Under the Featured tab, scroll down to find the link that says For Educators

3) Search page for collection titled “Inspiring Lesson Ideas for Teachers”

The course I chose – The Civil Rights Act of 1964 – came loaded with suggestions, an outline, and assignments that are ready for students to use. Posts within the course are organized according to different sections of the outline; 1. Introducing the Law, 2. Building Understanding, and 3. Applying Your Learning. All of the posts provide mini-lectures, links and resources, and assignments for student comprehension. There is a notes section of the course that allows the user to log course notes, audio/video notes, and book notes to further learning. I was moved at the effort that went into compiling this resource for others to use. Inspiring as it was to see an entire lesson efficiently put together into a digital course book, it was even more refreshing to learn how to access this database and apply this kind of technology into my future classroom. A lesson like this could be used interactively with the teacher, or as a guide during a teacher’s extended absence – the uses are numerous. If you haven’t checked out these resources, it is a must!